FRIENDSHIP



Friendship is such a fickle thing.


In different stages in our life, it means different things. The friendships you had in childhood differ from those you have in adulthood, and sometimes those friendships stay the same throughout life. If you are one of those lucky few who was able to stay friends with someone from childhood into adulthood, I salut you, it is not an easy feat to grow a friendship as you age and mature.


Many of these photos feature my best friend, Michelle. Now we became friends by chance when her family moved down the street from me, so essentially we grew up together as neighbors since the age of 2. So it was pretty easy to have a friend for life.


For those of use who don't have the luck of living down the street from their best friend, let me tell you know that proximity doesn't solidify or make a friendship. Friendship is based on the people in the friendship and the effort they put into it.


Friends are going to go to different colleges, and at those colleges they are going to change. They are going to make new friends and so will you. But you can maintain that friendship if you want to, and try. Just call/facetime, and send random texts or photos of stuff you think the other would appreciate.

Even if your friend changes while at school, it doesn't mean you can't be friends with them, it just means you have to get to know the side of their personality. As an example Michelle went to school at Cal State (Berkeley), which is a very liberal school, resulting in Michelle leaving the school very liberal and politically active. Which isn't a bad thing at all, but I personally prefer to stay out of politics, I am informed, but prefer to stay uninvolved. I'm also conservative in my views of things, and I personally don't enjoy discussing politics, ever, but for Michelle that is a main topic of interest to her. Which does cause me some discomfort but I've accepted these changes and have grown to appreciate some of them. It also just means that clear communication is key, as it is in an relationship, platonic or romantic.

I'm gonna end with an excellent quote/saying that I personally love.
There are good ships,
and there are wood ships,
the ships that sail the sea,
but the best ships,
are friendships,
like the one between you and me.

**there is an alternative ending to this saying that finishes "the best ships, are friendships, and may they always be", but I've always preferred this ending :)

So long farewell for now!

xoxo, RC

Comments

Popular Posts