DIY Craft - Stocking Stuffer Idea!

Homemade Hair ties - DIY Simple Stocking Stuffer

I thought it would be fun to make these simply because I wanted to, then I realized that they would be perfect gifts for the kids I volunteer with at Bible Club for christmas, of course these could also be little gifts for friends, or put into someone's stocking for Christmas! So here's how to make them!

Materials
5/8 in elastic (as much as you want)
scissors
ruler/tape measure
lighter/candle

Step 1
To start you'll want to get some 5/8 inch width elastic, I suggest you look at Michaels or Beverlys, but I couldn't find any at my local stores so I ordered online at Etsy.com! It was super cheap and they had tons of colors! I bought my elastic from a company on Etsy called Primrose Corner Supply (Etsy elastic link Primrose Supply Co), it was only $1.50 for 5 yards.

Step 2





Measure out the elastic to 8-9 inches in length for a hair band. You can make it longer or shorter depending on how thick you hair is. Also if you want to make a headband instead you can make it 20 inches in length (or 16 inches for a child 6-10, less for a toddler/infant), or I suggest measuring around your head if you want to be sure, but don't worry because this elastic is super comfortable and soft so it should hurt your head.

Step 3


Tie the elastic in a knot leaving about 1/4-1/2 inch at the end. 

Step 4


Last to prevent the elastic from fraying I burned the edges of it, which worked like a charm! You can use a lighter but I didn't have one so I just used a candle! You don't even need to put the elastic into the flame just close enough until you see the end fibers beginning to curl, it should take only a second, you'll know when it won't fray once its cool if the end is a little hard.

I know super awesome photography skills right? Haha, well I hope that this was fun if any of you chose to make them! It was just a super easy and fast craft I've been wanting to try. If you have any other things you've made using this type of elastic I'd love to know! I might do another simple DIY stocking stuffer because you don't want to go to out of your budget at Christmas only buying little things! So long and happy crafting!



Comments

Popular Posts